Monday, June 21, 2010

Walls

I felt that my office needed some form of wall/division so that if could be clearly seen, and there was some form of separation from the surrounding environment and the office itself. However, I didn't want my office to be a closed in or 'boxy' as I want people, to some degree, to interact with the natural environment around them while they are in my office (i.e. hear, see, smell, and in some cases touch). Hence why I didn't want to put in rigid walls in - closes off the potential person-environment interaction. This was a bit of an issue for me, as I needed to find the balance between the limit at which a wall isn't considered a wall anymore and the amount of interaction I wanted the occupants to have with the surrounding environment. Here I am referencing my Research Design Connections Journal, as they published a quote that stated 'how people interact with the man made buildings and the natural environment'. I found this quote very interesting, and it has influenced my design a lot so far as I am thinking about how people would interact with the space I am creating.

My first attempt at making the wall. In theory it could work, but visually there was something wrong with it. It didn't work.:


I tried moving the wall I had made onto the other side, but even then - it visually did not look right.

So I decided to manipulate the wall a bit, and I came up with this design which is now one of the walls of my office. It gives the appearance of a division without excluding what is beyond the boundary all together.


- NB: materials for 'actual' design would be coloured perspex (i.e. transparent perspex with the green vine pattern printed onto it) and white/light silver hexagonal wire netting.

No comments:

Post a Comment